Sunday, November 1, 2009

2008 <----b----o----o----k----s----> 2009


The BEST
:
Inherent Vice
Infinite Jest
White Noise
Jimmy Corrigan: The Smartest Kid on Earth
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

The DUDS:
I Love You, Beth Cooper
Girl in Landscape
Airframe

The GAYEST:
The Little Prince (I'm sorry, but come on. He's looking for the men! Please show me where I can find the men!)

The LOVELY, WONDERFULLY MOVING BOOKS THAT DIDN'T QUITE MAKE IT TO THE "BEST OF" LIST BUT STILL DESERVE TO BE INCLUDED IN SOME KIND OF LIST, BECAUSE SECOND PLACE IS STILL WINNING, ACCORDING TO GYMNAST SVETLANA KHORKINA, RUSSIAN, SILVER-MEDALIST, OLYMPIAN:
Black Swan Green
Revolutionary Road
Lunar Park
The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao

The STEAMIEST AUTHOR AWARD:
Bret Easton Ellis (you could melt an ice cube on those words)

The FINEST PASSAGE ABOUT RIPPING A SHIN BONE OUT OF YOUR LEG AND USING SAID BONE AS LETHAL STABBING INSTRUMENT:
Beat the Reaper

The SPOOOOOOKIEST:
Brief Interviews with Hideous Men
Hiroshima

The BOOK TO BOYCOTT FOR NEXT YEAR:
Eating Animals (I love you Jonathan Safran Foer, but I can't have you crawling into my brain and convincing me with your flowery language why eating turkey sandwiches is not what I should be doing in any given moment of the day. I'm sorry. I really am.)

The NEW YEAR OF MAGICAL READING MEMBERS(!):
Michael Ian Lampl
Dorothy Samuels Lampl
(Julie, can you create profiles for them? Or can you tell me how to take matters into my own hands with easy-to-understand computer terminology?)

The YEAR:
2009.

Is OVER?:
Just about.

And WAS IT INDEED MAGICAL?:
Well, as you can see, this sword of stainless steel is clearly soaked in bunny blood, but when I open this cage here, well look at that, our bunny is still alive. So you tell me.


2 comments:

Julie Ritchey said...

Yes, sir, I can certainly invite them! Just send me their email addresses and we will be on our way.

Allison Sanchez will be joining us as well!

All the cool kids want to join our club!

Julie Ritchey said...

OR! Click "customize," click "settings," click "permissions," and then invite them your very own self.