Tuesday, July 27, 2010

So Much For That by Lionel Shriver

I really wanted to like this book. I had read Shriver's "We Need To Talk About Kevin" when it came out and compulsively devoured the whole story but, with this one, I had to force myself to finish. I can't stand a preachy book and that's exactly what I encountered here. It's as if the author decided that she'd like the reader to know everything she's learned about health care, rare cancers, botched surgeries, childhood terminal diseases, weak educational systems, corporate greed, tax rip-offs, and on and on and on and on until you just want to scream "Shut UP", quit your whining, I can't take this overloaded lecturing for another minute! Annoying!!!!" But, I forged ahead and encountered a totally different book towards the end, not that it was much better, but at least it was a bearable ending, although a little bit 'tidy'. Come to think of it, I'd go so far as to say that Lionel Shriver might be a tad anti-American...but who am I to judge? Skip this one.

4 comments:

Julie Ritchey said...

The title seems to be inadvertently prophetic...

Karen M. Samuels said...

I will definitely skip this book. I read to escape not to be lectured at.

Dorothy said...

I know, right? (hee hee) HI KAREN!!! I thought you were joining us, you chicken. Come on! Quit lurking!

Karen M. Samuels said...
This comment has been removed by the author.