Saturday, July 3, 2010

IRZ WVUZ PVVH

So sometimes I do those little cryptoquip puzzles in the paper and one time many years ago I took a class on using strange mathematics to crack ciphers, but, for me, those activities are of no practicality. For the figures in this book, the ability to grasp those activities are of extreme importance.

It's pretty neat to read about how something seemingly obscure had quite a heavy hand in shaping world history. Maybe some of the statements about how mathematicians - not soldiers - were truly responsible for the outcomes of both World Wars were a bit exaggerated, but WHAT THE HEY?, it could be true for all I know and, at the very least, it's DRAMA! Nevertheless, this book was extremely intriguing both for its historical presentation and its information on the evolution of secret communications.

Plus, how can you not love a book that provides such unintentional gems as this one: "Cocks recalls: 'From start to finish, it took me no more than half an hour. I was quite pleased with myself. I thought, 'Ooh, that's nice. I've been given a problem, and I've solved it!'"

JC AVK WES MZEU IRJB, LZI IRJB PVVH!

1 comment:

Dorothy said...

I cracked the code! (Maybe that's what the other fancy blogger is saying too.)