Friday, July 30, 2010

Not Same Time Next Year.....

One Day by David Nicholls

I loved this book! Funny, sentimental, and a little heart-breaking too. Dexter and Emma, who met on the night of graduation from University, spend a memorable night together and from there, we meet up with them every year on the exact same day of July, sometimes individually, sometimes together, for the next two decades. This is not quite a beach read in that it's not as 'fluffy' as some of them out there. It's a book on missed chances, on a long-lasting friendship between two very different people, on how complicated life can be, and a lot of 'what-ifs'. (And it's British so you'll be picturing a young Hugh Grant as Dex.) Men...this one is not for you but if the women out there are looking for something lighter with a lot of heart, here it is. I promise you....it is not sappy at all. The writer is too clever to cross into that sort of territory. And as my sister Sally said, (Yes, Sally. I told you I was going to quote you in here.) "I wish I hadn't read it so that I can read it now."

2 comments:

Sally said...

Yes, I DID say that! Jolly good book!

Dorothy said...

I bet you read it in your British accent, Sally Regina.