Sunday, June 20, 2010

Water Evacuation by Our Very Own Andrew J. Lampl

Or "The Meta-Post: A Blog Post Written By A 50 Books Blogger About A Play Written By ANOTHER 50 Books Blogger And Posted on This Blog."

Ladies and Gentlemen of the Blog, we are fortunate to have such a delightful contributer, playwright, and person in our midst in the form of a fellow named Andy Lampl. He sent me a play he wrote, and I agreed to read it on the condition that it would count as of one of my 50 books. And, you know, even he had said that no, that it wouldn't count, I still would have loved it. But he said it would count and so double win for me.

Suicidal cows, smoothies made of broken glass, milk salesmen, birds flying willy-nilly into windows... These are just some of the treats in store for you in Water Evacuation. It is both hilarious and sad, in that sort of Wes Anderson way, wholly original, and unpredictable at every turn.

I am excited to read this play again. And then probably again after that. As with all early drafts, I'm sure it will continue to grow and change, but hats off to you, Lampl - this one's a gem. Let's perhaps sit at a table over a pastry or a couple bowls of ice cream, because (a) I haven't seen you in ages and (b) I'd love to talk with you about your play in greater detail.

Yaaaaaay Andy!


1 comment:

Dorothy said...

I don't need to be biased...it's THAT good!! I agree with you 100%, Julie.