Monday, June 21, 2010

The Wanderer by Sharon Creech

Or "The Young Adult Fiction Book, Not the Early '90s U2/Johnny Cash Collaboration."

Sharon Creech was my favorite author in middle school, when I read Walk Two Moons, which even in my adult life has held up as an extraordinary book and one that I love more and more every time I read it. She is quite prolific, and always satisfying - an author I can always count on when I need something solid to sink my teeth into.

The Wanderer was no exception. It's classic Creech - primarily narrated in the first person by thirteen year old Sophie (occasionally her cousins chime in with a chapter or two, but mostly it's her story), linking a physical journey with an emotional journey of self-discovery, acceptance of loss, and Creech's characteristic folksy writing style. It's a celebration of family, storytelling, and adventure, rolled into one charming, tender package.

If you've never read Sharon Creech, I'm going to recommend Walk Two Moons as the one to beat. But The Wanderer was a delight, and sang to my sixth grade soul the way WTM did lo those many years ago. If you're already a Creech fan, definitely check this one out.


1 comment:

Sharon Creech said...

How nice to find this review!