Saturday, May 22, 2010

"When the men come........."


Little Bee by Chris Cleave

Whoever wrote up the description of this story on the inside jacket cover of this book should be fired from his/her job. Why Mr. Cleave allowed it in the first place is beyond me. That person managed to trivialize and almost seem whimsical what is, in fact, a tragic, sorrowful story of an event that affects the lives of a 16 year old Nigerian refugee, a British couple and their young son, Charlie, and how their lives intertwine. It's a story of the will to survive and to look beyond your fears to do so. At times humorous, it is overall a dark story and heart-breaking. I listened to this book (and happened to have the hard-cover at home too)....told in turn by Little Bee and by Sarah, the married British journalist whom Little Bee meets on a beach in Nigeria....the accents and narration were excellent. This story kept my interest right from the beginning. I'm glad I listened to many of friends who simply said "You've got to read Little Bee" and left it at that. Had I picked this book up at Border's without any recommendations beforehand and read the jacket, I would have put it back down on the shelf. Read this one!

Chris Cleave's other book, "Incendiary", is also an excellent read!!!!

1 comment:

Karen M. Samuels said...

There is a description in the book of what happens to Little Bee's sister that I don't think I will ever get out of my head. Well worth reading.