Friday, May 21, 2010

Shanghai Girls by Lisa See



Shanghai Girls is a historical novel set in 1930's China that follows two fictional sisters over the span of about 25 or so years. We follow May and Pearl's lives from the vibrant, modern Shanghai of their youth to the war-torn Japanese occupied China they know as young adults and finally to their immigration to Los Angeles where they are sold as brides for American men.

I probably wouldn't have picked this novel off the shelf if I were in a bookstore, but a girl at work recommended/lent it to me and I thought (I have to read 50 books by november, ahhhhhhhhhhhh ILL READ ANYTHING TO FINISH ANYTHING AHHHHHHHH) I'll give it a try.

I appreciate the historical research that went into this novel as well as seeing the toughness of the immigrant experience. But in this novel, appreciation did not translate into enjoyment for me. After they left China, I found their new lives in America tedious to read about, and found myself fighting boredom to reach the ending. When I finally got to the ending and excitment and danger were about to ensue the book just ends abruptly. I have to say it just wasn't the book for me! (and my opinion is the only one that matters in most literary circles-so take that as you will)

No comments: