Thursday, June 18, 2009

Pastoralia by George Saunders

Or "WHY HAVE I NEVER READ ANY GEORGE SAUNDERS UNTIL NOW? WHYYYY???"

A toeless barber. A motivational speaker who encourages his followers not to let people "crap in their oatmeal." A sweet, loving old aunt who dies and later returns to her favorite rocking chair, swearing at her loved ones and decomposing. A man who works at an aviation-themed strip club called "Joysticks." One of the funniest books I've ever read. One of the scariest books I've ever read. And, although the situations seem absurd, they're really not all that much of an leap from reality. Now I'm clamoring for more George Saunders.

1 comment:

Pat King said...

YES. I adore Saunders (SHOCKER) -- CommComm (found in "In Persuasion Nation") is one of the truly great short stories in my life. Wahoo!