Monday, June 1, 2009

Animal Farm by George Orwell

Or "Four Legs Good, Two Legs Bad!"

Here I am, revisiting Animal Farm for the first time since my sophomore year of high school. This fall, Filament is doing an adaptation of this book to open our 2009-2010 season (PLUG!), so I figured it would behoove me (Is that kind of a pun? Like hooves?) to refamiliarize myself with the text. So I did.

I'm sure we've all read this one. We all know about political satire, a dictator pig named Napoleon, and typical classic Orwellian dysopic society stuff. I won't go on and on with summaries and analysis and all that, because we all already wrote those papers when we were 15. But here's the thing. Animal Farm is really really really good. And not just "Yeah, I remember that being one of the books I actually enjoyed reading in high school" good. It's just so so so good. It's funny, it's insightful, and it's genuinely scary. Yeah, you've already read it. But read it again. I promise it's worth it.

No comments: