Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Grant's Top Ten

Apart from The Tarvunty, which is everyone in Universe B's favorite book, my top ten must-read books are as follows:

1. Man's Search for Meaning - Viktor Frankl
If I were King, I'd make this mandatory reading.

2. The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark - Carl Sagan
If I were King, you'd better be reading this as soon as you're finished with Frankl. Learn how to say no to pseudo-scientific BS and other forms of woo-woo.

3. Into Thin Air - Jon Krakauer
Best adventure story ever. Who needs fiction when you have this chestnut?

4. Lord of the Rings Trilogy - J.R.R. Tolkein
OK, I was a geeked out D&D nerd in the '70's. Sue me.

5. Atlas Shrugged - Ayn Rand
Sure, Objectivism is a lame worldview, and sure this is a 200 page book stretched interminably to about 4600 pages + or - a grand, but it is a useful guide to self-reliance, the role of value in daily interactions, and how not to be a victim. Plus, Dagne is HOT!

6. To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee
Obligatory classic to make me appear learned.

7. Ascent of Man - Jacob Bronowski
One of the best History and Philosophy of Science books ever written. His BBC documentary from which the book was derived was a landmark in television history and in my life. <Excerpt>

8. Into the Wild - Jon Krakauer
I'm a sucker for adventure, especially when someone dies (and that someone isn't me).

9. The Mythmaker: Paul and the Invention of Christianity - Hyam Maccoby
A critical look at Paul's role in the establishment and propagation of Christianity, and how it in no way resembled the religion of Jesus and his disciples.

10. Key to the Treasure - Peggy Parish
A staple in our household for over 40 years.

1 comment:

Julie Ritchey said...

Pa! I was so excited to see Key To The Treasure in the top 10, I went on Amazon to order a copy only to learn that there is apparently a whole SERIES of mysteries featuring our favorite young sleuths, Liza, Bill and Jed. I knew about Key and Clues in the Woods, but there was another one about ghosts, one about pirates, and one about a guy named Hermit Dan. Further investigation will reveal if these are true Peggy Parrish gems or mere imitations, but I just wanted to let you know.