Wednesday, October 22, 2008

BOOKer T. Washington

Man-BOOKer Prize?

here are 10 books i liked to read!*

1. Black Swan Green by David Mitchell
2. High Fidelity by Nick Hornby
3. Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami
4. What is the What by Dave Eggers
5. The Ground Beneath Her Feet by Salman Rushdie
6. Snow by Orhan Pamuk
7. Consider the Lobster by David Foster Wallace (R.I.P.)
8. Special Topics in Calamity Physics by Marisha Pessl
9. The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde
10. Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke**

*I have a tendency to stick to a small group of authors and read as much of them as i can find, so while i limited myself to one book per, I can pretty safely recommend the entire oeuvres of Mssrs. Murakami, Hornby, Mitchell, and Eggers, but making a list of only those authors seemed counterproductive

**This is actually a placeholder for all the fantasy I secretly (though it will be clear from this blog going forward) love. This is a fantasy novel that people who don't like fantasy novels will enjoy, but if you really wanted to read fantasy novels, it would be something from Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan or Song of Ice and Fire by George R.R. Martin. Dork!

I can't wait. Though i do have a practical question...I am going to finish my current book before nov 4, but i wont finish the next one in the interim. what should i do?

j

2 comments:

Julie Ritchey said...

Clarification: Are we starting on Nov. 1 or Nov. 4?

Also "the oeuvres of Mssrs..." Josh? Is it that kind of book club now? I just don't think I can keep up with that level of sophistication, what with a good third of my top 10 being aimed at the 9-12 set and all.

Pat King said...

Julie, I'm on your level. I only didn't recommend "The Pushcart War" because I didn't want to appear foolish in front of Josh and all these new people! BUT I TOTALLY RECOMMEND IT.