Thursday, September 23, 2010

Room by Emma Donoghue

"Room" is the story of Jack and his mother, held captive in an 11' square room, locked in, never permitted outside. Jack is 5 years old and is the narrator of this story. His mother (Ma) was kidnapped 7 years ago, when she was 19, and held inside Room ever since, having given birth to Jack 2 years in. Jack only knows this life, what he experiences inside Room, what his mother teaches him, and what he see on TV. Though this is a terrifying story, it is also a story of hope and heroes and maternal love. Jack's is a voice you won't soon forget. I highly recommend this one!

2 comments:

Julie Ritchey said...

Oooh, intriguing! I shall have to add this one to my queue!

Dorothy said...

I don't think I did it justice with that weak review but take my word for it...it was powerful.