Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Musungu Jim and the Great Chief Tuloko

My favorite character from Twelve Bar Blues is not nearly as cool in this story. This book tried really hard to be both absurdly funny and telling but ended up evoking the same amount of enthusiasm that caused me to leave it on the floor of my bedroom until I temporarily moved away from a library. A lazy, white, British 18-year-old leading an African revolution against an Oxford-educated dictator with no testicles while smoking flatulent marijuana is just too much. Plus this whole story feels like the author's fantasy for his own life. I never like when this happens.

I got this book immediately after finishing Twelve Bar Blues for $0.58 plus shipping on Amazon. I'm pretty sure it is autographed by the author on the title page. Maybe I should have taken the hint.

2 comments:

Dorothy said...

You've really got to stop judging books by their covers.

Julie Ritchey said...

The second paragraph of this review made me laugh so so so hard.