Saturday, April 24, 2010

Playback


I picked this book up because Briggs borrowed it from Brad, and after they'd both moved out the book was left on the kitchen counter. I was expecting a Perf Studs type of vibe, and that's what I got. I haven't read much in the way of detective literature, and I'm not sure it's for me. But I'm not writing it off quite yet. Chandler is the master in this genre, and this is his last book about his most famous character: private eye Philip Marlowe.

What I loved: the language is specific, both in dialogue and description. Chandler hits the nail on the head with character with shockingly efficient descriptors, like, "She was an outdoorsy type with shiny make-up and a horse tail of medium blond hair sticking out at the back of her noodle." Also, hilarious but ultimately defining declarations such as, "When a woman is a really good driver she is just about perfect." Marlowe as a character is revealed through observations like these. He's rather priceless.

What I didn't love: the book as a whole. I just never got very invested in the story. I did, however, find myself wanting to adapt the book for the stage, keeping the narrative voice.

I will probably read another Chandler book to see whether my overall lukewarm reaction is to Playback specifically or the genre in general.

No comments: