Thursday, April 1, 2010

Consider the Lobster by David Foster Wallace

Or "Even The Footnotes Have Footnotes!"

Oh my goodness I am behind on posting! I don't even know if I remember all the things I've read! Well, I remember this one. So I guess I'll start here.

Consider the Lobster. Wow. How 'bout that. This review is quite a difficult one to write, because how do I possibly craft my insufficient prose to describe a writer who uses language with such eloquence and precision? Because, yeah. That guy knows his language. And I'm not even just talking about his review of A Dictionary of Modern American Usage (which, let's be honest, was hands down no contest without a doubt my number one nerdfavorite essay in the whole book). As I read, I was in constant awe of his command over the text - his ability to be detailed and eloquent and extremely dense in his subject matter, but without ever being convoluted.

Favorite essays included the Usage essay, as well as Up Simba. How Tracy Austin Broke My Heart had me snorting on the train I was laughing so hard. Just gonna say it... the last essay in the collection, Host, was a bit much for me. Maybe it was that the subject matter wasn't really up my particular alley, but that compounded with the sidenotes within sidenotes within sidenotes made for a difficult slog.

But, Host aside, my first run-in with ol' Dee Eff Dubs was more than positive, and I am oh so looking forward to devouring more.

No comments: