Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

Or "Bliss and Perfection."

I didn't think it could get any better than The Hunger Games. But boy did Suzanne Collins ever prove me wrong! Catching Fire picks up right where The Hunger Games leaves off: Katniss dealing with the aftermath of being a Hunger Games champion, murmurs of rebellion in the other districts, evil plots by the President - everything you could ask for in a young-adult-dystopic-future-fiction novel. Plus since we already know and love all the characters, the adventure is ratcheted up a notch right from the get-go.

Although similar in tone and structure to The Hunger Games, Suzanne Collins is still full of surprises. It really is an edge-of-your-seat kind of romp, but not at the expense of heart and substance. You know, like the Twilight series (which, admittedly, I've never read so I can't say for myself) where everyone says "Oh, they're terrible and they're terribly written, but they're just so addictive." These books are addictive like nothing else, but they're also good. I was constantly guessing as to what will happen next, or who to trust, and I was genuinely emotionally invested in the characters and the story.

I laughed. I cried. I yelled at the book. I gasped aloud in panic. I missed my el stop. Twice. I cannot overstate my love for this series. I just can't. The third one comes out in August and I'm just not sure how I'm gonna make it until then.

No comments: