Monday, January 11, 2010

When we all come together again...

Yo everybody!

So, Julie was talking about this last decade, and I know what you're all thinking, "Out with the old, in with the new." But wait! I happen to think that this particular idea still stands the test of time. But do you? Consider: What if we chose to act like a regular book club, just once, just for one single solitary book, and decided to all read the same thing? Is anybody super opposed? No? Good.

I've been brainstorming, ruminating, about that one perfect book that none of us have read but that all of us might enjoy reading. Here's a small list. You all should add suggestions as well, and then we can maybe pick one together, and embark!

1. Cloud Atlas ~ David Mitchell (since we all seem to have some kind of adoring love for Black Swan Green)

2. The Corrections ~ Jonathan Franzen (mom, have you read this? I feel like maybe you have...)

3. Zeitoun ~ Dave Eggers

4. The Museum of Innocence ~ Orhan Pamuk

5. Nocturnes ~ Kazuo Ishiguro

(What else? Somebody add more books to this list.)

9 comments:

Dorothy said...

I attempted to read The Corrections but never finished it. I'd go for it again though. As a matter of fact, I'll look forward to it!

Josh said...

Cloud Atlas is fantastic...if Black Swan Green didn't exist, I probably would force everyone I know to read Cloud Atlas instead. I would be willing to read it again, but if we're going for something new to everyone...I would also definitely do the Corrections, or the new Eggers (which is on my to-read list anyway), as are the new books by two of my favorite authors, Orhan Pamuk (everyone should read Snow) and Kazuo Ishiguro (everyone should read Never Let You Go). But I also have a question...is this in addition to, or instead of, reading 50? Because while I know that goal is old hat for Andy, some of us were planning not to give up the ghost til at least June.

Andy said...

It's neither in addition to nor instead of. It's just another one of our 50. No need to pick a book that will derail the main mission. I just think it would be fun for us to read the same book, and then talk about it afterwards. Like a real book club.

Julie Ritchey said...

I could dig on any of these! Oh boy we're gonna be a real life grown-up book club!

Also, to be fair, this idea was actually Allison's. Since it's the first passable idea she's ever had, I felt it unfair to claim credit for it.

Julie Ritchey said...

So what's it gonna be, fellas? Indecision is for loooosers!

Erika said...

I know I've been a deadbeat since first joining this blog, but I've finally cleared the first-book-post hurdle and have definitely been reading steadily.

I've already read Zeitoun.

So I vote for The Corrections or the new Kazuo Ishiguro.

!

Andy said...

I say THE CORRECTIONS. Let's choose that. But are we all attempting to start at the same time? Or do we have a date that we should try to finish by?

Dorothy said...

I say we all try to finish it by a certain date. March 15? That way, we can finish what we're presently reading, maybe squeeze one more in before starting The Corrections. Comments?
Andrew, I can't find my copy. Did I give it to you?

Julie Ritchey said...

The Corrections it is! Consider it done!

I'm with Dorothy in the read-it-by-a-certain-date camp. March 15 sounds good to me, especially because it is my birthday. So I will celebrate our having collectively finished The Corrections with cake and the warmth of friendship and a new quarter-century of life!