Thursday, January 21, 2010

Anne of the Island

This is book the third of eight in the Anne of Green Gables series.

Don't judge.

I grew up loving these books. The copies I read when I was little are still on my bookshelf. I remember packing up for college back in the fall of 2001 - I actually scooped these up and added them to my book box after September 11. And they've been with me ever since. Every so often, I find myself compelled to return to them. Usually, I'll pick one up when I've got a lot on my mind and need a Sure Thing in the book department.

And, as with any good art, I do find something new each time I read them. I am sure I enjoy them more now than I did when I was little. They have a lot of humor, sorrow, and descriptive writing for which I certainly didn't have time when I was little. Now, I'm surprised at how much I may have picked up as a writer and a storyteller and a person from reading Montgomery's books growing up.

When I reread this series - unless there's a story or book I specifically want to turn back to - I usually start with Anne of the Island, the third book in the series. Anne leaves Prince Edward Island to earn her B.A. at Redmond College in Kingsport. The book covers her four years there - friends, studies, hilarious old ladies, and of course Gilbert Blythe (anyone? anyone?). Anne ends up engaged before the book is out, but I won't divulge any more. You know, in case anyone cares to read this.

You will swoon if you let yourself.

For your crash course, in chronological order (not the order in which they were written):

Anne of Green Gables
Anne of Avonlea
Anne of the Island
Anne of Windy Poplars
Anne's House of Dreams
Anne of Ingleside
Rainbow Valley
Rilla of Ingleside

I'll write posts for each one I read (not sure how far this particular revisit will go - if I'll read to the end of the series or stop for The Corrections), but I'll keep them short.

I included Montgomery's Emily of New Moon series in my top ten books list for this blog. That series has become much more relevant to me upon rereading and getting older. It doesn't have any of the faults of the Anne books: the occasional charming-but-totally-irrelevant matchmaking adventure, or the sometimes grating references to Anne's lovable personal qualities and history . And its themes are a bit more usable, for lack of a better word.

I actually wouldn't call these children's books. They are definitely appropriate and good for young readers, but I really do still enjoy reading them, and it's not just for the nostalgia. The characters are fully drawn, the storytelling is brisk and, though for the most part things turn out alright in the end (with a few major exceptions), these books do have the flavor and nuance of real life in them. And L.M. Montgomery's love for her homeland shines through consistently.

As if there weren't already enough reasons to move to Canada.

1 comment:

Allison said...

God I love Gilbert so much, why won't he marry me? WHYYYYYYYYYY