Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Divorce and war. Peculiar, indeed.

"A Disorder Peculiar to the Country" by Ken Kalfus

What can I say about this uneven novel? Joyce and Marshall Harriman are in the midst of a nasty divorce when 9/11 happens. Marshall was supposed to be at work in the WTC but was late, Joyce was supposed to be on one of the planes but cancelled at the last minute, each is elated thinking their soon-to-be-ex-spouse has been killed and the story, though the premise is good, goes downhill from there. Well, not really from there....closer to the last 1/2 of the book when the author couldn't decide what kind of novel he really wanted to write and insisted on including every aspect of our recent history as a metaphor for this unlikable couple's marriage/divorce. I finished the book but I have to admit that when their 5 yr. old daughter, Viola, turned philosophical, I almost slammed the book shut right then and there. Viola said, "How do we know?" "Know what, honey?" "Know." "What?" "Know things." "What kinds of things?" "All things." "By going to school, sweetie." "I don't mean school. I don't mean learning.....I mean how do we know?" Ugh! Come on, Mr. Kalfus. Really? Have you ever been around a 5 year old?? Skip this one. I should have left it on the shelf.

No comments: