Friday, December 26, 2008

Who Watches The Watchmen??

Watchmen is about a league of costumed superheroes attempting to save a world so broken that perhaps it doesn't deserve saving. 

Well, actually, I take that back. It's not about superheroes. It's about people, regular people, who think that by wearing leather masks and capes, that they are somehow elevated to the level of a superhero, and somehow endowed with the powers that come with such a title. It's about a group of people who give themselves the freedom to reinterpret the law as they see fit, to reign down justice wherever they deem necessary. It's about a handful of men and women who choose themselves to watch over the rest of the world. But, who watches the Watchmen?

This is such a very sweet graphic novel. (I almost wrote navel, but I didn't mean it. Please don't be mad at me.) I loved it. I loved this book so much. Ah! It's so good. It's basically a big pot of stew containing everything that I find interesting, titillating, fascinating, sexy(!). It's about superheroes, villains, the end of the world, flying orbs, nuclear winter, mars, scantily clad cartoon ladies, utopia, prison breaks, pirates, blue man group (minus the group), teleportation, and more superheroes.

I'm not going to try to synopsis-ize the actual plotline. Too much. Too dense. There are stories woven through stories. Comics within comics. Generations of costumed heroes. Journal entries. Timelines. 

This is a big beautiful book with pictures. I like big beautiful things, and I like pictures. I liked Watchmen. 

And Reggie, I didn't cry. Not even once. Not for a hot second.

No comments: