Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Kalle Fucking Blomkvist


Slacker guilt aside, I'm glad I waited until I'd finished the whole series to write about these three books.

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo Old-fashioned mystery, with the requisite violence, twists, and sexual tension. The difference: female characters with depth, relentless attention to detail (I for one love to know what characters in books eat for each meal), and a larger mission to explore violence/abuse/injustice committed against women as the series develops. Definitely not standard.

The Girl Who Played With Fire My favorite of the series. Much more Salander time, and a more engrossing mystery, as it directly involves an already fully-drawn character.

The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest This final installment is as different from the second book as the second book was from the first. How refreshing to read three books about the same main characters and have each one be so distinct. There's something nicely modern about this series; Larsson refuses to romanticize any of his characters (I even, by the end of the series, ended up regarding the Blomkvist-Berger relationship without rolling my eyes) and persistently tackles the Women-In-Society question in creative ways.

All said and done, a series not to be missed.

And one more thing: I love Robin Wright's work, but I wish they had thought of Jennifer Beals. Just saying.

No comments: