Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Frank Lloyd Wright and the women who adored him...

"The Women" by T.C. Boyle

This is the third book that I've read by T.C. Boyle. No doubt that he knows how to spin a story but this one was a tedious, wordy read. It didn't pick up speed until the last 100 pages (of 451) and by then, I was getting frustrated, but the subject matter was of interest to me and I did like the way Boyle executed it. A fictional Japanese apprentice of Frank Lloyd Wright named Tadashi Sato narrates the story of the 4 women who obsessively loved Mr. Wrighto-San (as he refers to the master), working backwards in time from the last wife and ending, tragically, with the murder of his 2nd wife. His first wife, Kitty, is mentioned in brief. Although this is a fascinating story, I'd suggest a better rendering in "Loving Frank: A Novel" by Nancy Horan. And if you're looking for a T.C. Boyle that races with excitement, read "Tortilla Curtain". Much better than this one, in my opinion.

No comments: