Thursday, September 3, 2009

"The Partly Cloudy Patriot" by Sarah Vowell OR Julie RItchey in disguise


I'm devoting this entire post to my argument that Sarah Vowell is actually Julie Ritchey in disguise. To wit:
1. Similar obsession with the Civil War.
2. Both love presidents. in particular, the assassination thereof, in MORE particular, the assassination of Abraham Lincoln.
3. Both are fans of This American Life and have met Ira Glass.
4. Both are female.
5. Both have some opinions and feel that those opinions should be heard.
6. Both seem to break down into tears with little provocation.

And the list goes on. Maybe it's because I read this after Watchmen and was a little preoccupied with alter-egos, I dunno. I think they're the same person.

Also, this book was ok. The Rosa Parks, in particular, story is pretty hilarious. I just think I like other essayists more. She seems like a cool lady and I like listening to her on TAL, but something didn't quite translate into the writing. (6.5/10)

1 comment:

Julie Ritchey said...

Hmmm... so if Sarah Vowell and I are the same person, does that mean that you think I'm just okay and you like other essayists more? Pout.