Thursday, September 3, 2009

*

Since being introduced to DFW by this blog[1] I've been eager to read as much of his work as I can get my hands on[2]. And I have to say that I haven’t been disappointed. Consider the Lobster is a collection of non-fiction essays he wrote from about 1994 to 2002[3] and boy oh boy does it have some gems. Following the success of his accounts of attending the Illinois State Fair and taking a celebrity cruise[4], Wallace was sent to Las Vegas for the annual Adult Video Awards[5]. It’s one of the more disturbing, sad things I’ve ever read but also, thankfully, one of the funniest. There is also a pretty great essay detailing his experience travelling with John McCain’s 2000 presidential campaign which was especially enlightening after having just been through McCain round 2[6].

I don’t think I like Consider the Lobster as much as A Supposedly Fun Thing I’ll Never do Again, but that may be because I knew what to expect, this being my second DFW book. These stories just weren’t as all-around interesting to me. What’s really remarkable about reading these collections and the reason I’ll keep coming back for more[7] is that they’re all somehow written by the same person! The two essays mentioned above are in the same volume as a VERY in-depth criticism of a new usage dictionary. He’s just the smartest person in the whole world and by the end of reading the book I had a two-page long list of words and Latin phrases that I’d never heard and probably will never hear again because he’s just that goddamn intelligent. Amazing. (9/10)

* Consider the Lobster by David Foster Wallace


[1] !

[2] I’m saving Infinite Jest until January so I can preserve the illusion that I’ll get 50 books in by the time we’re done.

[3] ?

[4] Both for Harpers

[5] Curiously always held at the exact same time as the World Electronics Expo, also in Vegas.

[6] Really, 1.5. he dropped out pretty early the first time around.

[7] Out of the sadly limited supply.



No comments: