Thursday, August 27, 2009

Old Friends


Two massively nostalgic books from when I first started to love reading, both of which I've gone a few years since revisiting. Satisfying, breezy stuff (Westing Game's occasional weird relationship with racial identity excepted), and the Adams reminds me that I haven't reread any of his books in years. Time to restart down the diminishing-returns road of the Hitchhiker's Trilogy (sic)? Or, for that matter, to revisit Raskin's entire ouvre? PERHAPS!

Oh, and if you guys haven't read these? Do. They're swell!

3 comments:

Josh said...

Hey Pat, have you read A Long Dark Teatime of the Soul and whatever the other one of those is? I remember listening to an audiobook of it when i was a lad, and thinking it was wonderfully weird (Thor is a major character, if i recall).

Pat King said...

Yeah, Long Dark Teatime of the Soul (and Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency, I think is its companion piece) are the two Adams ones that I've been jonesing for lately. I remember them both being dementedly genius, and I'm discovering that my sense of humor seems to owe a crazy amount to Adams, more so than I would have recalled being the case.

Pat King said...

I'd also like to point out that as much as Martin Freeman is solid Arthur Dent casting (no, I'm not a real fan of the movie, a few funny flourishes aside) it will always break my heart that the late-90s film adaptation that Adams was working on, due to star Hugh Laurie as Dent and (if I remember right) Jim Carey as Zaphod, was never made.