Friday, August 14, 2009

Buy the ticket, take the ride

Hi gang.

When I was a wee lad I read Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. It was, and remains, the funniest book I've ever read. When the movie came out, I made my Dad take me on opening night. We were practically alone in the theatre. The movie was...?

I just didn't get it--how could this hilarious book turn into such a depressing, confusing mess of a film? Where was the humor? Why did Hunter speak in a voice that rendered his hilarious words incomprehensible? What happened?

I learned something from the Fear and Loathing film, something that was confirmed by Gonzo--it is hilarious fun to read Hunter's words...but to watch him living out a life of debauchery and violence is actually quite depressing.

Hunter walked the walk and talked the talk, but alienated almost everyone in his life, and died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound. Not fun. Not funny. Good to learn from the greats; I'll make sure not to become a sexagenarian coke addict who can't pump out 1500 words a month, even with a $120,000 yearly salary.

And yet...I love Hunter. And so do all the people in his life, even if they hate him. He did it his way--let's hope that Hunter and Frank Sinatra and Sid Vicious are all hitting the skull pipe in heaven and finding ways to fuck with us earthbound squares.

I'm gonna sip on some rum now and re-read some Fear and Loathing...if you hear squealing laughter, it's either me or your acid just kicked in. Either way...Hot Damn!

No comments: