Saturday, November 15, 2008

Second Verse, Same as the First


The Great Hunt by Robert Jordan

So my third book of the year is the second book in the Wheel of Time series, which I am reading for the third time in anticipation of the twelfth book. Hurray for math! There is nothing to add to my review of the first, except to share either a recommendation or a warning about this series, via my very close friend Dave Lowensohn, who I turned on to the wonder of Jordan's world while I was living in Portland:

One, I fucking hope Rand gets the courage to actually *throw up* before the series ends, rather than just omniscient narratoring about it, and;

Two, I'm going to talk your ear off about this shit when I'm caught up to where you are. This is some serious storytelling, and you have the dubious distinction of being the one person I know who's actually made it through this - you are, in essence, my animal guide. I wouldn't have even picked up Book One were it not for your retelling of the author's then dire (now resolved) straits. So, 80% thank you, 20% fuck you.

Cheers,
Dave

so if that sounds like something you might be interested, go for it. Dave is almost through book 5, after a year or so of reading. I am obviously faster, but it is a commitment.

No comments: