Monday, December 7, 2009

4 LISTS FEATURED IN THIS BOOK


1. 26 Songs That are As Good as Short Stories
2. 37 Sound Effects Created By Al Jean for Mad Magazine
3. 21 Films too Painful to Watch Twice
4. 6 Keanu Reeves Movies Somehow Not Ruined By Keanu Reeves

etc. etc. I'm at a coffee shop, the book is at home, and I'd like to get caught up on posts, so I'm going to stop there. If you'd like more lists of lists, I'd be happy to comply. The point is, I love lists. I also love pop culture. Furthermore, largely because of the previous two statements, I love the A.V. Club, the Onion's culture section/blog/website. I read it religiously, and I started reading it religiously for two reasons: 1. I was working in an office with access to the internet and 2. Their weekly "Inventory" feature, where they would make up a list (this week's is 21 Great Albums with terrible cover art, they did a double list not long ago of 42 songs about suicide, which has long been a fascination for me. My favorite is probably Jets To Brazil's "Conrad", which also made their list) of something to do with pop culture, but something very specific...those of you who know me well may remember a love I have of theme mixes, and my little brother probably remembers my love of thematicly built Magic Card decks (I had a particularly good Goblin one, if I recall). This book is a collection of mostly new, mostly funny and fascinating lists of this type, with pithy descriptions of each entry. For most, its probably exceptionally bathroom reading. For me, I went to the reading on the release day like it was the album release from my favorite band.

No comments: