Saturday, February 7, 2009

The Most Aptly Named Book in Literary History


I took Pat's suggestion and read John Hodgman's second installment of his compendium of complete world knowledge. More Information Than You Require is a delightful romp through the truly odd landscape that is Hodgman's mind. Since the book has already been reviewed, I will be brief and share with you my favorite section:

"after the success of the Tasmanian Devil, the Tasmanian government had attempted to rebrand many of its native species as ferocious and uncontrollable... hence we get the Tasmanian Killing Mouse, the Tasmanian Blood Dove, and the Tasmanian Wallaby of Infinite Danger."

One of my favorite parts about this book was reading the footnotes, which would direct me elsewhere in the book for more information about the current topic. I often found myself wondering "how the hell is this book going to go from talking about the US Presidents to somehow talking about the Seven Portals to the Hollow Earth?" But Hodgman had the chops after all!
My only criticism (and perhaps its a criticism of myself) is that if the book is read cover to cover in a rather short period of time, one becomes numb to Hodgman's absurdities. So, if you choose to read it, maybe read it while reading something else, perhaps as a toilet book yes, a toilet book would be perfect. Read it while you're pooping. (8/10)

No comments: