Wednesday, November 10, 2010

I am really very glad this isn't my life.

I locked myself out of the house. I had finished my book (Rebecca) the night before in a marathon reading session that went late into the night - it was that good! - and then kept me wound up till about 3:30am - it was that creepy! After an early day at work, I arrived back at home only to realize I didn't have my keys. And I had not worked a new book into my rotation yet.

Later that night, Josh introduced me to a useful and true mnemonic: ABAB (always bring a book).

But back to being locked out without a book (WAB): I was deeply tired from the night before, the kind of tired where you're perpetually about to cry and you feel hollow inside (you know that kind?). I had left work without eating the free meal because all I could think of was getting home to bed. My bed. My bed. My bed. So even the thoughts of catching an afternoon movie or going to the zoo or shopping for winter accessories were totally overwhelming.

So I went to the bookstore, got a book, and read at a coffee shop till Casey got off work and rescued me. The book I bought was Never Let Me Go. I had been wanting to read it after seeing a preview for the movie. I didn't realize till I found it at the bookstore that it was written by Kazuo Ishiguro. He also wrote A Pale View of Hills, which I loved.

Blah blah blah. Never Let Me Go was good. I liked A Pale View of Hills better. I think I knew a bit too much about the setup here. It was uniquely sad. Great, beautiful title. I recommend it, but I had been on a spectacular run, with Showboat, Freedom, Matterhorn, and Rebecca. This was just a bit of a dip. But still really good. It's always great to mark the official beginning of a relationship with a new author. Nice.

No comments: