Thursday, October 15, 2009

The End Times: You Know, For Kids!

Guys, I have had this book on my read-it list for about 3 years (I remember picking it up and starting it, only to get distracted and never get past page... five, say) and finally picked it up over the weekend. When I started reading, I couldn't put it down and was done about 24 hours later. Man, I know I don't know nothin' about Terry Pratchett (though now I wanna), but this hits my sweet spot in almost the exact same way Neil Gaiman's writing has elsewhere. Incredibly funny and insightful, with a wildly specific and absorbing world that manages to be as expansive as any I've dipped into this year. I think this is the book Summerland wanted to be, but it's really quite effortless how Gaiman and Pratchett stuff it with dozens of disparate characters and hierarchies, with none of the sort of hurried frenzy Chabon fell into at times. Well, I'm just wildly glad to be coming to new things like this, even if it's late in the game. Next up: American Gods?

No comments: